You have established your budget. You have been pre-approved for a mortgage. You have contacted a Real Estate Professional to assist you with the purchase of a home. Now the fun, and evaluation begins. You will probably be looking at a few homes before you decide on the perfect one for your family. Before you decide to purchase that home you have absolutely fallen in love with, be sure to be objective in your decision. On appearance alone, the fireplace, the new flooring, paint job and new carpeting create a warm and inviting feeling. Yet, is the home really that perfect? Take a deep breath. Take some time to think about the bigger picture of the home in terms of your needs. Carefully consider whether this home offers the features that will last beyond the first impression.
Here are some essential factors to consider:
- Location is a significant factor in your choice of home. An established community, with a good reputation, a low crime rate and well-maintained homes, maintains home values. A garbage dump, industrious buildings disposing bad odours and major freeways surrounding your neighborhood are unattractive and disruptive to a peaceful lifestyle.
- Also consider availability and cost of access to public transportation, major roads and highways.
- Also consider the condition of public areas such as streets, sidewalks, parks and recreational facilities.
- Public services should also be established including street cleaning, snow removal, garbage collection, and emergency services.
- You will also want efficient access to medical services including hospitals, doctors and dentists.
- Be sure that schools and related school services are also within easy access.
- Recreational, shopping, and entertainment needs should also be considered.